As I’m trying to learn more about antidepressants, I found it interesting to make a visualization of the receptor binding profiles of some of the better characterized ones, so I thought I would post it here.
Some of these medications aren’t widely used anymore or were never pursued for development, so they are also a window into the history of psychiatry and what could have been. This is how the meds cluster based on their receptor binding:
One interesting thing about these clusters is that they cut the medications into groups distinguished by their chemical/drug classes:
- Group #1: TeCAs like mirtazapine and one TCA, doxepin; o
- Group #2: TCAs like amitryptiline and one TeCA, amoxapine
- Group #3: SSRIs/SNRIs, like fluoxetine and venlafaxine
- Group #4: Phenylpiperazines, like trazodone
- Group #5: NRIs/NDRIs, like atomoxetine and buproprion
Here’s my code to reproduce this.